BTZ image library FAQs
On this page you can find the answers to frequent questions regarding the BTZ image library.
- How can I register?
- For what purposes may the images be used?
- How do I know whether I can use an image, or how an image has been classified?
- I am having difficulty understanding the terms and conditions. Can you summarise the most important points for me?
- If I see an image but do not have permission to use it, to whom should I direct enquiries about rights to use the image?
- What information about the photographer do I need to include in the publishing credits or next to the photo?
- What can I do if the image quality is inadequate for my project?
- I am a photographer and would like to submit images to you. Whom should I contact?
- I would like to offer a picture for your image library. What do I need to do?
- The details accompanying one of the images I have seen are incorrect.
You do not need to register to use the free images classified as authorisation level 1 under the terms and conditions of use
If you wish to use images to market Bremen as a tourist attraction, this is how you register: Click on the 'Register' button, then enter your contact details. In the field entitled 'Authorisation level' you should select your access authorisation classification. You can register either for authorisation level 2 (tourism) or authorisation level 3 (press). You will find the relevant definitions in the terms and conditions of use. Please ensure that you register correctly and select the right classification, as infringements of the terms and conditions of use can have legal consequences. You can now log in again, entering your name and password, and use BTZ's picture service.
Please note in particular clause 2 of the terms and conditions of use.
Unfortunately there is no way round this one - you have to read and accept the terms and conditions of use to avoid legal problems. These terms and conditions of use are confirmed by the photographers when we buy photographs and when images are supplied by our partners. For legal reasons we are unable to substitute these with a summarised version. Nor may the BTZ team provide any approval for the use of images - by telephone or in writing - which deviates from the terms and conditions of use. BTZ is not entitled to enter into special agreements, and any such agreements would not be legally binding. To make things easier for you, we have highlighted the key points as follows, but please note that this summary is not legally binding:
The images are grouped according to authorisation level:
- Authorisation level 1 = licence-free, i.e. can also be used for non-tourism purposes
- Authorisation level 2 = tourism, for non-commercial tourism use
- Authorisation level 3 = press, for promotional articles (some restrictions apply to regional use)
The following applies for all images and authorisation levels:
- They can be used free of charge worldwide in perpetuity
- They cannot be used for the user's own archiving purposes or for image libraries and similar, for political/religious/ideological purposes, or in social media
- They cannot be edited (copyright, i.e. the images may not be used in montages, for example)
- The source must be indicated directly next to the image or in the picture credits
- BTZ must be sent a file copy or a link every time an image is used
- The image number must be retained in the image name and the licence file downloaded with the image must be retained
- The press code of conduct must be complied with
The information in the detailed view (magnifying glass icon) indicates whether or not you are permitted to use the photo on social media.
In this case please contact the copyright owner directly. Their name appears alongside the enlarged view of the image. If BTZ owns the copyright, please contact the named photographer directly.
Please include the information contained in the detailed view of the image under copyright. When you download images, you will receive them in a zip file. This also contains a licence file which includes the terms and conditions of use, information about the downloaded image, the applicable authorisation level and the copyright.
Unfortunately we do not have a better quality version than the tiff file. Please choose a different photo, or contact the photographer in Bremen directly.
The advertising department would be delighted to hear from you. Provided that you accept our terms and conditions of use with respect to authorisation levels 1 or 2 and you have obtained any necessary consents from persons who may be depicted in the images, we would be very happy to look at your photographs. Our contact details are at the bottom of the page.
If you are a BTZ partner or a member of Verkehrsverein der Freien Hansestadt Bremen e. V. (Bremen Tourist Information), you are welcome to make images available to us as long as you own all the rights to the images and you can classify them under our authorisation levels 1, 2 or 3 as specified in the terms and conditions of use. We will check each individual submission to decide whether we will include the image(s) concerned. For the inclusion of an image in the library, we require copyright details, the name of the photographer, a short description and, if possible, the year the photograph was taken.
If you notice that image details are missing or incorrect, we would be extremely grateful if you would notify us. Please email us (email@example.com) with the image number together with the nature of the error and any comments you may have.
If the above information has still not answered your questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
WFB Wirtschaftsförderung Bremen GmbH
GB Marketing und Tourismus, Abteilung Touristik
Service hotline +49 (0) 421 / 30 800 10
Fax +49 (0) 421 / 30 800 30